Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Art | Photography | Gregory Crewdson

A few months ago in Hamburg, I ventured into the center of town on a Saturday afternoon in hopes of getting my thoughts away from portfolio/ad school land. I visited the city's main bookstore and after seeing a fascinating working exhibition set up by the city's Museum of Labour, I spent a few hours browsing through the English novels and art books. That's when I discovered this guy, Gregory Crewdson, an American photographer whose work I fell head over heels in love with almost immediately. The book was well over 100 euros, so I spared myself the expense, but I think his work's suburban themes, cast in an iconographic, almost religious, light, are really inspirational. They make me think of ads where what's missing is the product. So, the game is, look at several of his pictures, and try to think of what kind of product or service they could be for. Or what kind of film, story, or commercial. This is one of my favourites.

No comments: